Last updated on: August 17, 2007
The Lychgate, St. Pancras Church.
Produced by gb42.com, a registered member of the U.K. Web Design Association
To the
West Bagborough
pages.
Site established 25:04:00
Most of what is now seen is the result of fifteenth century enrichment and restoration, paid for from the large profits made by the sheep farmers, and the weavers and merchants of the day. The bench ends in the nave belong to the reign of Henry VII or Henry VIII. Originally the church consisted only of the nave and chancel, the north aisle being added in 1839.
Saint Pancras Church
Built of local red sandstone, the Church of St Pancras nestles on the slopes of the Quantock Hills. The earliest mention of the church is that of the Rector, Robertus, in 1278, who was the first of a line of rectors many of whom were notable for the long years of their incumbency.


Little of the original building is visible today, though the tower and the font were here long before the extensive work was carried out in the fifteenth century which gave the church its Perpendicular style.
The dedication to St Pancras, the son of a Roman soldier, martyred for his faith in the year 304, is unique in the Diocese of Bath and Wells.
In the early 20th century, the church was further embellished under the guidance of Sir Ninian Comper who replaced eight windows, designed the striking War Memorial on the rood beam and a new font cover painted with scenes from the passion. At this time a gallery was built and the organ transferred from the chancel to its present place at the rear of the church.

Further restoration and refurbishment was carried out in 1872 which included new roofs for the nave and north aisle, a new porch and replacement seating throughout the church, retaining the 16th century bench ends in the nave.
Copyright John Trebilcock
St. Pancras Church, from an original painting by local artist John Trebilcock.
(used with permission)